Search This Blog

Friday, April 12, 2019

Top 10 New Breweries Visited in 2018

I know, I know... it's already April! But each year, we visit a lot of breweries, many of which are first-time visits for us. Following in last year's footsteps, we thought we'd continue to offer a year-end review of some of our favorites. Here’s a list of our Top 10 “new-to-us” breweries we had the pleasure of visiting in 2018. How did we come to the final list? While we’ve utilized no specific equation in determining the final Top 10 list, we did take the following into consideration: beer quality, atmosphere, service, gut instinct, and general awesomeness. With that said, we present to you the Pour Travelers’ Top 10 New Breweries Visited in 2018 (in alphabetical order):

1. Abolitionist Ale Works - Charles Town, WV - First visited March 2018


This visit marked only the second brewery we've ever visited in the state of West Virginia. Deuane had raved about it prior to our trip, so I was anxious to check it out. It obviously didn't disappoint! Upon perusing the beer menu, I quickly realized there was much to try. In lieu of worn-out, pedestrian beer styles, Abolitionist offers a handful of varied farmhouse-style and wild ales, Belgian styles, and barrel-aged treats. My first experience with Pale the Funky (Black & Blue), a wine barrel-aged farmhouse ale with Brett and finished with blackberries and blueberries, sucked me into the vortex. Let's Gose, a straight-up German-style tart wheat beer was on point and delicious.

Beverly Farmhouse Ale, a wild ale brewed with local cascade hops and fermented with wild WV yeast then keg conditioned with pear juice, really intrigued me on paper, so I tried it. It delivered! This was one of those rare beers where I swear I could taste the stuff floating around in the WV air. Shenandoah Saison, the house Saison, ain't no slouch either. This variation was aged for eight months in a wine barrel with local plums. You could really taste the plum skins in this one!

But my favorite of all was perhaps West by Quad. This Belgian-style Quad aged in French oak bourbon barrels was strong and alluring. The bourbon character wasn't overly boozy, but instead offered a nice, round vanilla-chocolate flavor. I really enjoyed this one!

2. The Answer - Richmond, VA - First visited October 2018


When we went to Richmond, I thought The Veil was going to take the cake. Turns out I was wrong. It doesn't happen often, but this time my projections were a bit off. The Answer kicked our freakin' ass! Not only do they pour some of the finest stouts I've ever put in my face, they also served the most amazing ice cream sandwiches of all time. I mean, EPIC ice cream sandwiches. Like, think of the "be all, end all" ice cream sandwich you've had in your lifetime. Then multiply that by like 47. But we're not talking about ice cream sandwiches; we're talking about beer. The Answer seems to do everything right. Aside from the stouts, they also had some delicious, well-crafted IPAs that exploded with tropical fruit. Tart fruit beers? Check. They even do signature frozen "beer slushies" that you should at least try once for the novelty of it. The food - heavy on the Asian flair - is pretty bangin' too. This place was so awesome, that we visited twice in two days. So that's gotta tell you something!

3. Chestnut Hill - Philadelphia, PA - First visited April 2018


Chestnut Hill's brewery is situated in a delightful little market tucked away from the main street called Market at the Fairway. Our visit occurred shortly after the brewery's first anniversary. I know this because we had it's One Year Anniversary Ale - yes, that was the name of the beer - on tap during our visit. But the beer of the day had to be Motra, a fantastic West Coast-style IPA hopped with Mosaic and Citra. The body, texture and appearance of this beer was textbook West Coast IPA. I commented to Brewslut that it reminded me of a Pizza Port IPA; not a particular IPA, but rather a dead ringer for something that might have been brewed by Pizza Port. I've since gone on record and professed that Pizza Port makes the best West Coast-style IPAs in the country, and lord knows I've had quite a lot of them over the years (thanks to many trips to San Diego). Motra, in my opinion, is one of the finest Wet Coast IPAs I've had to date - not only on the East Coast, but outside of San Diego! For that reason alone, Chestnut Hill made the cut. The brewery and adjacent market are both downright cute, too!

4. Funk Factory - Madison, WI - First visited August 2018


Focused on exploring the traditional production of Lambic and Lambic-derived beers, Funk Factory actually refers to itself as a "Geuzeria." The first beer to serenade me on our first of three visits over two days was Cherry Meerts. I typically get sucked into anything with cherry in it, so this was the perfect place for me to start. If you're not familiar, "Meerts" is a near-extinct beer style that falls under the "lambic" umbrella; a low alcohol table beer traditionally made from the second runnings of a lambic's turbid mash. Funk Factory has a dozen or so variations on this theme. The Arnold Palmer Meerts (named after the popular iced tea-lemonade hybrid) was one of the most unique beers I've ever tasted. I was also able to try both the Peach and Lemongrass Ginger Kombucha variations of Meerts, which were equally as tasty as the others. In an increasingly over-saturated craft beer market, it is important to stand out as much as possible. Well folks, Funk Factory has definitely carved out its own little niche.

5. Lucky Hare - Hector, NY - First visited April 2018


I feel I needed to include at least one brewery from our insanely fun trip to the Fingerlakes with a group that usually isn't in tow with us for beer treks. Several things contributed to Lucky Hare making the cut: the staff, my company, the dog-friendly atmosphere, and of course the beer. There may have been a few new places we'd visited with better beer, but like a good stew it takes more than one ingredient to stand out. Plus the first beer I tried was named Ned Ryerson, a rye IPA brewed with local NY hops and named after an annoying character in the classic Bill Murray movie, Groundhog Day. Pop culture reference for the win! Their two "falcon" beers, Falcon Punch and Millennial Falcon (nice Star Wars reference there) proved to be a great pair of IPAs to try side by side. The former is a lovely golden-bodied East Coast IPA with a citrusy kick, while the latter is a hazy, softer though imperial version of Falcon Punch. Uppers and Downers, a dark lager with coffee, sealed the deal and proved a great "after dinner" beer following the hop assault from my earlier beers.

6. Masthead - Cleveland, OH - First visited August 2018


The first stop of our Great Taste Caper '18 set the bar extremely high. Yes indeed, Masthead set the tone for the rest of the trip, and I used it as the benchmark for all of the other breweries we visited during the week-long excursion. It appeared to me that this place was just crushing it; the beers were amazing, the place was packed, the atmosphere was on-point, and the staff knew what they were talking about. We even bumped into a guy who recognized the Selin's Grove logo on my shirt, and we got to talking. This always elevates the experience for me (unless the person is a douchebag, which obviously detracts from my enjoyment). Thankfully this guy was cool. The first beer of the trip, Ten Minute DIPA, wowed me from the first sip. I'm pretty jaded when it comes to IPAs, but this sucker delivered. We closed out with Raspberry Espresso Torte, a thick, luscious Imperial Stout brewed with raspberries, locally roasted Six Shooter coffee, and lactose. This served as the proverbial icing on the cake of an amazing visit to Masthead and a well-deserved first stop of our Great Taste Caper '18.

7. One Trick Pony - Lansing, IL - First visited August 2018


Conversely with Masthead, One Trick Pony was our last brewery of the Great Taste Caper '18. Things got off to a very nice start with my first beer, Georgia Grande, a Hefeweizen-style ale infused with fresh ginger root and peaches. I seldom gravitate to a hefe (especially for my initial beer... you know, first impressions...) but this beer was refreshingly tart with a ton of juicy peach character and a subtle spicy note in the finish. Leathercoated Mind, an IPA hopped with El Dorado and Mosaic, brought on the tropical fruit and a bit of summer melon, and I soon found myself wanting to extend our visit despite the grueling 9-hour drive we had in store for us the following day. Well, I'm glad I decided to get one more beer, because I saved the best for last. Enter Cocoa Butter Kisses. I simply had to have it. I mean, there was no way an Imperial Stout aged in Buffalo Trace barrels brewed with cinnamon, vanilla, and cocoa wasn't going into my belly. Fucking hell, this beer was amazing! It was one of the most well-executed imperial stouts I've ever had in my life. The ingredients were perfectly balanced. The bourbon warmth was present but not boozy or overbearing. And it was soooo insanely drinkable. I wanted to bathe in it. I can go on and on, but you get the picture. For this beer alone, One Trick Pony made the grade.

8. MobCraft - Milwaukee, WI - First visited August 2018


When we first stepped into MobCraft, touted as "the world's first crowdsourced brewery," I knew we'd be back for a second visit the following day. I loved the concept of this brewery, not to mention the board was chock-full of some 20-odd tempting beers; so many that I simply couldn't try everything I wanted to try in one sitting. After my first sampler flight, I knew we had a winner. Batshit Crazy, a coffee brown ale, was memorable not only for its awesome name but also for its intense coffee flavor and supple mouthfeel. Our bartender during our first visit was awesome. I always appreciate a talkative and attentive server who is happy to answer questions. Turns out I had a lot during our visit. Two beers really wowed me the following day. The first, Nuance, is a Farmhouse Ale brewed in collaboration with 1840 Brewing Company. This beer was fermented and aged in fresh wine barrels for four months, conditioned with Brettanomyces Bruxelles and blended with apricots and peaches. Can you say "Yum?!" The other, Sour Support, is a barrel-aged blended sour with raspberries and ginger. Damn, another beer with ginger for the win. This place was definitely worth of dual visits.

9. Surly - Minneapolis, MN - First visited August 2018


I mean, DUH! We visited Surley three times over the span of 48 hours, so that should tell you something. This place had been on my "brewery bucket list" since I had my first sip of Furious back in the day. I was so excited to finally have this beer fresh from the source. But even more amazing was experiencing vintage 2017 Darkness on tap. Children, this was a near-religious experience for me! Pleeps still dreams about this more than 9 months later. Brewslut couldn't get enough of the Lime Lager. She seldom orders the same beer twice in one visit, but this beer was an exception to her rule. Surly is like the Twin Cities' version of Disneyland, except instead of an annoying mouse and his chums, you have some of the best beer brewed on the planet. Everything about Surly's facility screams "destination brewery," from its world-class beers to modern facility, to its food and landscape. If I lived in the Twin Cities, this would definitely serve as my "happy place." (Feel free to refer back to my previous blog, which includes tons of pictures.) We'll be back, Surly... I'm not sure when, but we will be back!

10. Wolf's Ridge - Columbus, OH - First visited November 2018



So many great things happened at Wolf's Ridge during our visit. I sampled "seacuterie" (essentially charcuterie for pescetarians) for the first time. Yes folks, they had me at pickled herring. I learned what a "puncheon" is. What is it? It's basically a really big wine barrel that holds one-third of a "tun," which is the English unit of liquid volume used for measuring wine, oil, or honey. I also enjoyed my favorite beer of the Great Taste Caper '18: Terre Du Sauvage Green, an otherworldly farmhouse-style saison fermented and conditioned in oak with a mixed culture of Brettanomyces and saison yeast. Dry-hopping with whole cone Ekuanot hops elicits delicate ripe melon and a punch of citrusy lemon-lime notes. Tart and complex yet fruity with zesty citrus and juicy tropical fruit, this beer was an absolute joy to drink. All in all, this place is a diamond in the rough. The beer, the food, the service, the vibe... all A+.

Once again, this year's list proved to be a difficult undertaking. Here are a few "honorable mentions" that came oh-so-close to making the final ten.

The Bottlehouse - Lakewood, OH - First visited August 2018

Everything here was killer! Vox Maris, a blended strong ale with dark candi syrup and sour cherries aged in bourbon barrels, proved tart and amazingly complex, and was far and away my favorite.  Pina Sour, a sour pineapple saison aged in wine barrels with Brettanomyces, was another stand-out. I'm also glad we worked up our appetite for a late-night snack, because the cheese plate we devoured was one of the best we've ever encountered.

Lakefront - Milwaukee, WI - First visited August 2018

It pains me that Lakefront didn't make it, because I had wanted to visit for soooo long! Still, this brewery is an institution and craft beer pioneer, so needless to say it was a pleasure to visit such an historic brewery. The tour at Lakefront is one of the most fun you'll ever take - you better prepare to sing, too - and the people here are just genuinely nice and friendly. I mean, it is Wisconsin! From its classic Lakefront Pils and most decorated beer, Eastside Dark (a Bavarian dark lager) to more experimental beers from its Beer in Progress Series, Lakefront is no joke. I mean, they've been in business since 1987, so they must be doing something right. Hooray for the old guard!

Root Down - Phoenixville, PA - First visited January 2018

What do you get when you combine craft beer with 90's hip hop, graffiti, and cheesy vintage kung fu movies? A pretty dope-ass brewery, yo! Root Down is housed in an old Hires root beer factory, so the place is huge. With an awesome roster of IPAs including Flux, Flying Guillotine, and its flagship GABF gold metal-winning Bine, Root Down also boasts a solid Keller Pils (not easy to brew) that I enjoyed during our visit. I mean, you know a place is legit when they win Midsize Brewpub & Brewer of the year at GABF, which they did in 2018. Yup. Good things are a-brewin' at Root Down!

Town Hall - Minneapolis, MN - First visited August 2018

Another one that just missed the final list, Town Hall is another one of the old guard that keeps all the new kids on their toes. Masala Mama on cask is still a force to be reckoned with, and it was one of my Top 5 beers of the Great Taste Caper '18. That alone was worth my long-awaited visit. The fact that they are located in the same town as Surly blows my mind. I mean, a world-class brewery AND Brewpub a few miles from each other? Damn, son!

Urban Growler - St. Paul, MN - First visited August 2018

Urban Growler, the first woman-owned microbrewery in Minnesota, churns out some fresh-faced, forward-thinking beers. In addition to year-round and seasonal specialty beers, its Plow to Pint series focuses on local ingredients and farmers, and the Hayloft series features experimental, small-batch beers. Two beers I sampled turned out to be two of the most memorable beers of our Great Taste Caper '18. Kentucky Common, a toasty copper-colored ale, takes a bourbon recipe and modifies it for beer. Sticky Rice, a wheat beer brewed with Jasmine rice, ginger, fresh mango, and organic coconut, is based on the type of rice served in Thai restaurants. The latter was easily one of the most unique beers I'd ever tried, so kudos to Urban Growler for that!

Väsen 
- Richmond, VA - First visited October 2018

This Scandinavian-inspired brewery is making its mark with unique sours, fruit beers, and Belgian-esque ales. A Smoked Blood Peach Sour? Um, yes please (even though I'd never heard of a blood peach). The Barrel-Aged Grapefruit Tripel, an Abbey-style ale aged for 4 months in Chardonnay barrels with grapefruit, was a complex flavor explosion of subtle fruitiness, citrus, white grape, clove and black pepper. Väsen really stood out from the usual Richmond suspects and turned out to be one of the most memorable visits of our weekend.

So, just how many "new-to-us" breweries did we visit in 2018?

110.

Not too shabby, eh? This total includes the new Yards facility as well as different locations for Hardywood, Hofbrauhaus, and Hardywood.

I'd say see you in 2019 but we're already four months deep! Until next time...


1 comment:

  1. I'm happy that I was along for the experience at least a few of your top ten favorites for 2018! Nice write up!

    ReplyDelete

The Pour Travelers thank you for following us on our beer adventures!