Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Seven years of beer geekery finally pays off!

Seven years ago (or thereabouts), I became enamored with craft beer.  I'd never developed a taste for beer prior to that, largely due to the fact that I grew up in Shamokin, PA, a veritable beer wasteland, where Yuengling Lager and Genesee Cream Ale was the "good stuff."  However, in my late twenties, I decided to try and get into beer, mostly because beer is the only alcoholic drink a musician can get for free while performing at bars and nightclubs.  I started off with Miller Lite and Corona, and quickly moved on to Blue Moon, then Franziskaner.  At one point, I thought Appalachian's Water Gap Wheat was the best thing since sliced bread.  However, one day when I was having lunch at the Center Street Grille in Enola, PA, I came across a yellow tap handle with the name Troegs emblazoned upon it.  Curious, I decided to try the beer, as I heard they were a local brewery from nearby Harrisburg!  It turned out to be Rugged Trail Nut Brown Ale.  It was at this precise moment that I morphed into a beer geek.  Over the course of the next year, Troegs played an important role in educating me about the various beer styles.  The first hoppy beer I ever sampled was Hopback, and the first dark beer I ever loved was Dead Reckoning.  Sunshine Pils turned into my go-to beer of the summer.  As it turned out, the brewery was a short hop, skip and jump away from my office in Camp Hill, so I would frequent the brewery during my lunch breaks and get to know its employees.

Over the course of the next few years, my love for Troegs multiplied.  I attended special releases, firkin events, the awesome 10th anniversary party, even volunteered for the Brewer's Festival.  I had even dreamed of working there someday.

Well, that "someday" has finally arrived.

I am pleased to announce that I am gainfully employed at Troegs Brewing Company as of Tuesday, July 17 (although my first official day of work is August 14).  I am the new Coordinator of Media and Communications, and I couldn't be more thrilled!  While music is my first passion in life, I've often said that craft beer comes in at a close second.  I look forward to a long, fruitful career with Troegs Brewing Company.  Look for me next time you are at the brewery!

Brewery Manager Ed Yashinsky and myself at Troegs on the day I accepted employment!


2 comments:

  1. Wow, congratulations! Very jealous. I think they made a wise choice. I mean, I love reading your blog. Hope you still have time for blogging here. Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the kind words, Tony! Glad you enjoy the blog. Perhaps our paths will cross at Troegs in the near future!

    ReplyDelete

The Pour Travelers thank you for following us on our beer adventures!